Since our inception, we have always maintained connections with industry. Our courses are designed specifically to meet the needs of those involved in the different areas of the maritime industry. Continuing liaison with key personnel insures relevance is maintained as new technology and processes emerge.
Work-integrated learning across undergraduate and postgraduate learning and research is an important feature of many of our courses. Seafaring students must complete certain components of their courses on board ship under the supervision of senior officers; engineering students undertake a compulsory period of work experience and many of the research projects undertaken by students are in response to real-life situations and problems.
Time in industry is incorporated as a basic component of the ARC Research Training Centre for Naval Design and Manufacturing (RTCNDM), which is centred here at AMC, and is a key element of our Defence and Design precinct.
Some of AMCs industry links are below:
Links to Industry
- The Nautical Institute is an international representative body for maritime professionals involved in the control of sea-going ships. The Institute provides a wide range of services to enhance the professional standing and knowledge of members who are drawn from all sectors of the maritime world. AMC is the Tasmanian Branch of the Nautical Institute.
- Australian Marine Environment Protection Association (AUSMEPA) is a not-for-profit non-government association devoted to education and action for healthy oceans. The website has free downloadable teacher and student materials designed to integrate marine topics into studies of science, literacy and information technology.
- Maritime Industry Australia Limited the peak ship owners association in Australia providing information on the services it provides to its members as well as information on careers at sea.
- The Australian Maritime & Fisheries Academy (AMFA) is a global leader in the delivery of maritime, fishing and seafood industry-specific development and education programs.
- Australian Merchant Navy - what we do at see. Merchant Navy and offshore industry news from Australia, New Zealand and around the world.
- Women's International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA) is an international organization for women in management positions involved in maritime transportation business and related trades worldwide.